Integrated 4C Program – Composites & Tooling Design
Welcome to a truly unique training experience with the Integrated 4C Program:
- CAD – Computer Aided (Tooling) Design
- CAM – Computer Aided Manufacturing
- CNC – Computer Numerical Control (Machining of Master Pattern)
- Composites – Rapid & Prototype Tooling and Part Fabrication
This course provides the applied knowledge & skills of essential technical communication required for engineers and technicians in a compact 10-day program. Core instruction provides a primary focus on delivering workflow and efficiency gains that will help optimize your composites operations.
Week 1 (5 Days):
CAD skills are enhanced using parametric sketching, 3D direct modelling, and technical drawing using Autodesk Fusion 360™ software. Trainees will then apply this knowledge to CNC machine their designed projects using an Axiom 4-Axis CNC machining center.
Week 2 (5 Days):
Trainees will use their newly formed mold from their CNC machining project, for creating a Master Pattern & Production Tooling Mold. The training course (and the process of I4C) is completed by the trainee’s fabrication of a Carbon Fiber Component using the production mold they have designed and milled.
Topics covered in this 10-day course include:
- Interpretation of a composite part engineering drawing
- Designing a component using both parametric and direct modelling techniques
- Application of strategic 2D & 3D toolpath operations for CNC machining
- Basics of CNC operation, including: G-code & M-code programming, workholding / fixturing, recommended tool selections, with speed & feed best practices
- Materials and processes used in composite components and structures
- Silicone & Urethane cast molding, and vacuum-assisted composite part fabrication
- Essential knowledge of composite molds and parts fabrication
This course is suitable for persons with no prior knowledge of composite materials or tooling design and aims to provide the trainee with a solid foundation in CAD & CAM (through Autodesk Fusion 360™), CNC and Composite Mold Making technologies.
It is strongly recommended that trainees for I4C complete the online tutorial in using the Autodesk Fusion 360™ CAD program provided to registered trainees, prior to attending the course.